Fungal infections are very common on the toes or nails. Both adults and children are susceptible to this disease. To avoid the transition of the pathology to a chronic form, you need to know the signs of a fungus on the foot and what such a disease looks like.
The main signs of the disease
Of all the skin diseases, foot fungus is the most common. You can become infected with the disease by ignoring the basic rules of hygiene. Curing the same mushroom is sometimes very difficult.
For each person, foot fungus starts and develops in its own way. Here are the most common signs by which you can spot foot fungus:
- characteristic cracks appear between the toes;
- you may notice that a mold has appeared from the characteristic itching on the feet and between the toes;
- the skin of the feet is very dry, often flaky and hardened;
- bubbles appear between the fingers, which explode when destroyed;
- the infection can spread to neighboring areas;
- reddish spots appear on the skin, which cause considerable discomfort;
- foot fungus can also be distinguished by its unpleasant odor.
When the first symptoms of the disease appear, it is necessary, without delay, to consult a dermatologist. If you do not do this in advance, it will be much harder to treat the fungus.
Signs of fungus depending on the type of pathogen
This disease develops due to different types of pathogens. The symptoms of foot lesions will vary from case to case.
- If the yeast develops on the foot, then the nail gradually becomes thinner, exfoliated from the bed. The skin on the feet is hyperemic (takes on a red tinge).
- With the development of epidermophytes, the nail turns yellow, covered with spots. The skin of the feet is wrinkled and emits an unpleasant odor. A characteristic symptom of this type of fungus is increased drying of the skin.
- When mold appears, the nail plate may change its color suddenly. The skin becomes red if the pathology pathogen gradually spreads throughout the leg. The person is worried about itching, the skin may crack. In this case, pain and other unpleasant sensations appear during walking.
Only a doctor can determine the type of pathogen. It is impossible to do this at home. And if you practice self-medication, you can only harm yourself. The feet will suffer from this and the skin fungus will spread more and more.
Signs of some forms of fungi
Depending on the affected area and the degree of development, several forms of pathology are distinguished. The symptoms of each are different. Knowing the early signs of foot disease, you can start treating mycosis in a timely manner.
- Interdigital dermatophytosis is the most common stage of the disease. It is active in spring and summer, when sweat is greatest on the feet. Cracks and sores appear between the toes. You can see the presence of flakes on their skin. The foot, on the other hand, looks absolutely healthy. Often a person feels itching.
- The deleted form is manifested to the least pronounced degree. Peeling is visible between the fingers. At this stage of the disease, a strong unpleasant odor spreads from the feet: it appears due to the increased activity of bacteria.
The disease can take various forms. Let's get acquainted with their signs in order to know how to determine foot fungus and, if it develops, start treatment. It should be remembered that in the advanced stages of the disease, the nail is completely destroyed. It is almost impossible to restore it.
This fungus is characterized by intense peeling of the epidermis. Moreover, it is the areas of skin between the toes and the side of the foot that are most intensely affected. There are no signs of an inflammatory process. In the picture of the first signs of foot fungus, areas of hyperemia are observed. A squamous fungus looks like this:
- corneal layer thickens;
- the skin is shiny, sometimes becomes thick;
- the pattern on the skin becomes more distinct;
- the fungus gradually spreads to the toes, all over the foot, affects the nails;
- sometimes lamellar scales appear on the epidermis;
- the patient does not feel any other unpleasant sensations.
With this fungus, small bubbles filled with fluid appear on the skin. Usually found on the side of the foot. They then gradually move to the inside of the fingers. How to recognize fungus on dihydrotic feet:
- the bubble is usually single, but if there are many of them, then they merge into one large;
- in the absence of treatment, the fluid in the bubbles gradually darkens;
- if the bubble bursts, then erosion with a crust appears instead.
With this type of foot fungus, there is a very high risk of bacterial contamination. The infection enters the body through open skin lesions.
Kind of confusion
This type of mushroom is the most common. At first, the person experiences no symptoms. Up to a certain point, the skin on the toes does not change. In the future, cracks and layers appear. The skin is not affected, but may sweat.
Candidiasis of the feet
The characteristic symptoms of this fungal infection are as follows:
- the lesion is the 3rd or 4th toe;
- the skin is red and swollen;
- there is a blister around the lesion, where there is a peeling layer of skin;
- nearby there are pustules, vesicles.
If a bacterial infection enters the affected area, then this leads to an increase in local temperature. The swelling is visible on the skin of the feet. In severe cases, a person has general hyperthermia.
Signs of fungal nail infection
A person’s toenails can also be affected. The disease can be distinguished by the following symptoms.
- Strong discoloration of the nail plate. Depending on the type of pathology that the patient has, the nail gets a variety of nuances. Sometimes it can change only to a part of the nail plate.
- Crushing the nail. This only happens in advanced stages. If the nail is completely infected, it collapses.
- Changes in the structure of the nail.
There are several types of onychomycosis - a fungal infection of the nails.
- Atrophic appearance. The nail plate looks very thin. It darkens, sometimes acquiring a gray-brown color. Thoi gradually peels off his bed. The skin beneath it becomes keratinized, it becomes loose.
- With the normotrophic shape of foot fungus, the plaque changes its shade. Spots appear on it - white, yellow, green and even black. The structure of the nail does not suffer.
- With a hypertrophic form, the plaque gradually thickens and becomes porous. The affected area looks very ugly and in some cases is the cause of pain while walking. On the sides, it crumbles and collapses without treatment.
Some types of onychomycosis
Depending on the extent of the spread of the disease, such forms are distinguished.
- Lateral onychomycosis is more common. A small yellow spot first appears on the free edge of the nail. In the future, you can see how it grows, and the nail plate thickens. While walking, a person feels discomfort. The spread of an unpleasant odor is noticeable. Lateral onychomycosis is difficult to treat.
- Superficial onychomycosis is characterized by damage to only the upper layers of the plaque. It does not thicken, but over time it becomes like chalk.
- The rarest form of the disease is subungual onychomycosis. The skin thickens significantly at the fold of the nails. The nail turns white and loses transparency.
General principles of treatment
Any pathological treatment begins with the diagnosis. Only then can a suitable medicine be prescribed. Self-medication usually leads to foot deterioration. Let's get acquainted with the most common methods of therapy.
- At the first signs of a fungal infection, special varnishes, plasters, ointments, sprays are used. They should be used for a long time and according to the instructions.
- If local therapy is ineffective, antifungal drugs with complex action are prescribed. They are used orally.
- Surgical removal of the affected nail.
- Laser therapy.
- With an advanced form of the disease, systemic medications are prescribed.
You can avoid the appearance of an unpleasant disease by observing the rules of hygiene. The use of other people's personal hygiene products (towels, slippers) should be avoided. When the first signs of the disease appear, you should immediately consult a doctor.