Toenail fungus (onychomycosis) is a common infection caused by pathogens known as epidermophytes. Men and women of all ages are infected with this disease. The presence of a fungus is indicated by severe itching, a change in the structure of the nail plate, its yellowing, the appearance of scaly spots. Getting rid of the disease is difficult. Treatment of fungi involves the use of a number of medicines for internal and external use.
Where does foot fungus come from and how do we know it
The onset of onychomycosis is preceded by contact with a sick person or his shoes. Infection occurs in crowded places conducive to the development of pathogens - saunas, baths, swimming pools, sports complexes. However, not all people who visit these places get mycosis. Epidermophytes are placed on the feet of those who wear tight-fitting shoes and are prone to sweating. According to experts, these mushrooms prefer a slightly alkaline or neutral neutral environment.
According to statistics, sometimes the infection occurs in salons that provide nail processing services, whose employees do not monitor compliance with sanitary and hygienic standards. The fungus "sticks" more often in adults, mycosis is rare in children. Doctors explain this with age-related changes in skin pH, weakening of the immune system against the background of various diseases. Sometimes the causes of developing a fungal infection are:
- thyroid disease;
- endocrine disorders;
- gastrointestinal diseases;
- destruction of the adrenal glands.
At risk, doctors include people who abuse alcohol, tobacco. To recognize the disease, special changes in nail structure and color help. When the fungus is introduced, it turns white, yellow, brown, black shades. The color of a diseased nail depends on the type of pathogen (mold, yeast or dermatophyte).
The nail plate itself begins to melt and crumble. Over time, its keratinization occurs. Growths on the nails help to recognize mycoses, which become larger over time and interfere with treatment. However, these symptoms do not appear immediately. Some people are not aware of the presence of the disease, so it takes a serious course, in which the fungus leads to the destruction of plaque. A neglected disease is suitable for treatment with great difficulty.
What is dangerous
In addition to unpleasant external manifestations, the fungus harms the whole body. Its main danger is that an old fungus becomes the cause of a complex course of other serious diseases (diabetes mellitus, allergies, bronchial asthma). Gradually, it completely touches the nail plate and spreads to the tissues in contact with the nail. According to experts, it is a kind of conductor for other infections.
Sometimes, against the background of reduced immunity, the pathogen is able to penetrate into the internal organs and cause their loss. Not the last place in this list is occupied by body intoxication. Some species of fungi, during their lifetime, release toxins, which gradually poison the patient's body. Onychomycosis also affects the mental well-being of people. Against the background of physical distress, the patient develops a harsh attitude towards himself, negative emotions appear, worries about the development of the disease.
Pharmacy Review - List of tablets, creams and ointments
Traditional medicine offers a large selection of all kinds of tools to fight this unpleasant disease. These are antifungal drugs for oral and external use. Each of them predicts the destruction of pathogens, however, due to the wide variety of drugs and the presence of individual characteristics, only a qualified specialist should choose the medication and determine the course of treatment. In the initial stage of the disease, the following external agents help to cope with onychomycosis:
- Medical spray with hydroxypyridine. Appointed according to the scheme, in 30-day courses. Therapy involves applying the spray for the first month once every two days. In the second month, the drug is applied every three days. Further, until the nail plate is completely restored, the remedy is used once in 7 days.
- Antifungal spray with cyclopiroxolamine. Apply on affected nails once a day. Before applying the varnish, remove the affected part of the nail plate using the file included complete with the preparation. The duration of therapy depends on the degree of development of the disease.
- Spray with morpholine derivatives. The tool should be applied once every three days over a course of six months to a year.
- Serum with rye enzyme filters causes the death of pathogens, creates unfavorable conditions for further development of onychomycosis. It has been used for a long time. The duration of therapy depends on the characteristics of the nail growth and the area of the lesion. The minimum course of treatment is 28 days. The varnish is applied twice a day on a clean nail plate. Then the surface of the nail, if desired, is covered with decorative nail polish.
- A tool for removing nail plate, providing painless removal of growths and more painful nails. The substances that are part of the medicine ensure the removal of the nail and the restoration of a healthy one. The product is applied in a thick layer, without rubbing, on well-prepared, well-evaporated nail plates, avoiding contact with healthy tissue. The upper part is closed with plaster for 4 days. Then, after pre-evaporation, the separated layer scratches. This procedure is performed until the nail is completely clean.
- The spray, gel and cream of the alilamine grade resist a wide range of fungi. Recommended for extensive lesions. Apply funds no more than twice a day. Before use, the affected areas are cleaned and dried. The medication is sprayed or applied until the affected nails and areas adjacent to the skin are completely hydrated.
- A synthetic allylamine derivative (cream, ointment) is an antifungal agent for external use. Apply 1-2 times a day. The drug accumulates in the tissues at a concentration necessary for disinfection. The course of treatment is 1-2 weeks.
- Spraying covering a wide range of pathogens. Apply to infected areas (until they are completely wet) within a week, no more than twice a day.
- An ointment with an imidazole derivative has a fungicidal effect. Relieves symptoms. Used twice a day. The course of treatment is determined by the doctor and can last from 2 to 4 weeks.
- An effective remedy for onychomycosis is a cream that has an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory effect, which helps eliminate itching. The injured area is lubricated once a day. The duration of the course of treatment depends on the type of disease (from 14 days to 6 months).
If medicines for external use have not had the proper effect on the fungus, or the disease has been severely neglected, then experts prescribe oral agents. Tablets, as well as gels, ointments, sprays, have a destructive effect of fungi and block their ability to multiply. The most effective against mold and yeast are:
- A drug from the group of triazole derivatives. Helps to cure neglected fungi. Used depending on the characteristics of the disease, either according to the scheme, or for a long time, in a continuous course (3 months). According to the scheme: the first week drink 1-2 capsules, 2 times a day. The repeated course is completed in three weeks. Courses are repeated several times until the start of recovery. With long-term treatment, the drug is prescribed to drink 2 capsules once a day.
- An effective remedy that belongs to the same class helps in removing old fungi. The drug is prescribed to drink one capsule once in 7 days. The course is 30-36 weeks.
Medication-free treatment - popular method
Folk remedies can complement the medical treatment of nail fungus. Their use is not a cure for infection, but alternative medicines effectively relieve the symptoms of the disease, support the action of medicines. In case of using additional methods of therapy, you should consult your doctor. The most common remedies for mycoses used in alternative medicine are iodine, garlic, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, celandine, lemon, propolis.
- Jodi. An alcoholic solution of iodine has a disinfectant and antiseptic effect. Directly affects the pathogen, destroying it. The use of iodine is allowed if there is no allergy to it. To do this, a five percent solution of iodine is applied to the diseased nail, one drop at a time, morning and evening. As a preventative measure, healthy nails are also treated with iodine. After a week, the number of treatments should be reduced. The course of treatment lasts from twenty days to a month.
- garlic. Based on this spice, many methods have been developed for treating fungi. One of the most popular is the therapy of fungal infection of the nail plate with alcoholic solution of garlic. For its preparation, alcohol and minced garlic are taken in equal proportions. The resulting medicine is diluted with a small amount of distilled water. This mass is used to paint nail plates. On the basis of garlic, an ointment for mushrooms is also made. To do this, take equal parts butter and crushed garlic. With this ointment compresses are made on the affected nail overnight.
- Uthull. An effective remedy in the treatment of onychomycosis in the early stages are vinegar baths. Immediately before the procedure, you should steam the legs. In a small bowl, prepare a solution of 9% warm vinegar essence. Position the pelvis so that your feet do not rest on the bottom of it. Soak your feet in the solution for about 15 minutes. After the procedure, wipe them, but do not rinse them with water. Take such baths twice a week. The duration of the course of treatment depends on the size of the affected area.
- Hydrogen peroxide. The product is known for its disinfectant properties. Treatment of onychomycosis with hydrogen peroxide is effective at an early stage of the disease. Used to create a special solution for warm baths. Pour warm water into a tub and add a little 3% peroxide. Soak your feet in the resulting solution for 15 minutes. Then wipe them without rinsing with plain water.
- Celandine. Celandine juice is used to treat fungus. Sick a diseased nail with it every 6 hours. An effective remedy is a medicinal solution from celandine. For cooking you will need: 5 tablespoons. boiling water, 1 cup celandine leaves. The raw materials are poured with boiling water and insist for 60-70 minutes. The resulting product is used for foot evaporation, which is performed every 6 hours for 15 minutes. The duration of treatment with celandine depends on the degree of the disease.
- Lemon. For the treatment of mushrooms with lemon, the fruit is cut into thin slices, which are placed on the injured area. Place cheesecloth on top of the lemon, wrap in cellophane wrap and arrange everything with a bandage. The procedure is recommended to be performed for 12 consecutive days. According to reviews, this remedy is one of the most effective, helping to quickly get rid of nail fungus.
- Propolis. Quick and effective remedy for fungal infections of nail plates. Propolis has a bactericidal, fungicidal and bacteriostatic effect. It relieves itching, inflammation and helps heal wounds. Tampons with 20% propolis alcohol solution are used for treatment (you will not have to look for it for a long time, it is sold in any pharmacy). During the treatment of fungal diseases with this solution, the diseased nails fall off, which ensures the renewal of the nail plates.
Treating fungi is a long and not always successful process. The use of a range of preventative measures, among which hygiene is of paramount importance, will help protect against infection. Dermatologists recommend daily treatment of shoes with vinegar or formalin, wearing only slippers when visiting a spa, pool or sauna. The list of preventative measures that protect against fungi contains the following tips:
- Take regular vitamin therapy courses.
- Wear quality shoes made of natural materials.
- Try it on in salons wearing socks.
- Do not give shoes to anyone, change them more often.
- Fight sweaty feet.
- If you have to walk barefoot in public, treat your feet with a special antifungal agent.
- Apply deodorant to your shoes.
- Exercise regularly.
- Treat chronic infectious diseases in time - gastritis, tonsillitis, etc.
- Stay on a healthy diet.
According to experts, foot sweating is the cause of onychomycosis or nail fungus. To prevent the disease, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the feet. If your shoes get wet, take steps to get rid of the moisture. To do this, experts advise wiping the skin between your toes with a regular towel or drying your feet with a hair dryer. If, however, an infection has occurred, do not despair.
- "A medicine with an allylamine derivative helped me cure a strong mold. This medicine was prescribed to me by a dermatologist from the clinic. The medicine was in the form of tablets and ointments. I was treated for a long time and according to the scheme chosen by the doctor. "Before that, I tried to get rid of this infection myself, but nothing worked for me. "
- "I had yeast on my feet. He prescribed me a triazole group drug in capsules at the hospital. I drank it for six months, one piece once a week. I smeared my feet with a cream with a synthetic allylamine derivative all this time every day. "I also took baths with celandine solution according to a recipe from the internet. Six months of hard work, and everything passed. "
- "I do not know where I got this fungus. It took a long time to be treated. For three months I drank a medicine from the group of triazole derivatives. It seemed that everything went away, but after two months it started again. "It turned out to be a secondary infection. I painted my nails with iodine. The dermatologist prescribed an alilamine derivative. I spent 6 months drinking. Now there is no problem. "